What Are The Safety Measures To Keep In Mind While Hauling Heavy Weight Loads?
Transportation is the key to any industry. By definition transportation refers to the act of moving an object, which could be a person or an item, from one place to another via vehicles, such as trucks and cargo ships. Transportation can be compared to the capillary systems of the body which take blood to and from the heart to organs with help of veins and arteries. If these blood vessels do not perform their duty, the body will not function at all. Similarly, transportation helps in moving of materials, finished goods, etc., from one place to another, for instance, raw materials to the manufacturing unit, and finished goods from factories to sales dealers. If this basic yet vital function is not available or inept then it will negatively affect the functioning of all the industries and subsequently our day-to-day lives.
This key department relies on heavy vehicles, such as trailers and trucks, since some of the transported goods can be heavy cargo, such as cars, or parts of heavy industrial machines or manufacturing equipment that needs to be taken from one destination to another.
Along with the right vehicles to freight the desired goods, especially heavy weight loads, safety of goods is also a major priority. With heavy loads there is often the risk of mishaps and accidents taking place while handling goods or while loading or unloading it. However, with trusted services, like Shamick Melbourne, who handle heavy loads cautiously and take personal responsibility as well as care for the load, you can get your job done in the safest way.
However, it definitely helps to be abreast with precautionary features and basic tips to ensure safety of heavy goods while they are in transit.
Basic safety measures to be aware of while transporting heavy goods
- The loading area for goods must have a flat surface and should be firm and sturdy to support the weight of the heavy load. Also, the area must be free of any potholes or uneven surfaces which can result in accidents while loading and unloading.
- Also, ensure that the loading area is well lit and has loads of lighting to make sure that there is no window for mishaps owing to poor lighting. Additionally, the loading area must be at a safe distance from the vehicles and not too close to pedestrians.
- The transportation vehicle must also be checked for basic safety features, such as lights, reflectors, horn, and also sturdy body of the vehicle along with the right tyres to prevent accidents. The dangerous body parts of the vehicle, such as the exhaust pipe opening, power take-offs, and chain drives, must also be covered with guards. The vehicle area where the goods are to be loaded also need to be cleaned to ensure there are no wires, cables, crates, chains etc. which might cause a hindrance while loading the goods.
- Another basic but very important feature is to ensure that the vehicle is in a stable condition with the brakes applied properly before heavy goods are being loaded onto the vehicle.
- Also, ensure the goods once loaded are properly secured. A general rule is to apply one tie down for cargo that is loaded upto ten feet, while two will ensure further safety. For goods, such as pipes and logs, binders (ideally 4 binders) must be used to secure them.
Frequent checking of goods and taking appropriate care is necessary for ease of transportation of heavy cargo.